What is KBE ?
- KBE stands for Knowledge Based Engineering
- KBE is fundamentally about re-use in Engineering knowledge
- Taking advantage of any experience, expertise and other information relevant to each phase of the engineering life cycle of an end user product
- These “knowledge bases” can exist in many forms:
human judgement, such as rules of thumb
- Knowledge-Based Engineering is the process or system that collects all the information available in the life cycle of a product and makes it re-usable
Benefits of KBE
- Speed: Enables automation of repetitive and mundane tasks which otherwise takes away from the engineer’s productive work.
- Error-proofing: Complex calculations and tedious database/ catalog lookups can be performed in a quick and error-free manner
- Skill base elimination: Eliminates the need for the design engineer to develop expertise in skills in areas not necessarily in his/her domain, eg., CAD.
- Easier design process: The design process is simplified for the engineer as his/her intervention is required in a few decisions.
- More Innovation: The simplification of the design process would enable the engineer to put more time and efforts in the pursuit of innovation.
Knowledge Fusion (KF)
Expression based modelling
NX / Open API